007 - Choropleth Mapping (Optional Lesson)
How can choropleth maps illustrate statistics concerning the USA?
Activity One - Understanding
Answer the following questions:
- What is a choropleth map?
- Describe how a choropleth map is constructed?
- What are the benefits to using a choropleth map?
- What are the problems of using a choropleth map?
Activity Two - Construct
You will be given a base map of the USA to create a choropleth map illustrating a specific indicator. The maps will help to build up a picture of how varied the USA is despite being classified as one country.
Activity Three - Interpretation
- Describe the pattern of data on your choropleth map.
- Why do you think that pattern has occurred? Explain your answer.