001 - Global Participation
Describe (AO1) and evaluate one of the following two globalization indices: the AT Kearney index or the KOF index, as a measure of global interaction.
Describe (AO1) how the globalization index may be represented spatially.
Define the words above using the 'Command Word' posters in the classroom, the links provided or the textbook by Guinness 'Global Interactions'.
Activity One - Watch
When is Geography not Geography? When historians try and take it over! As you watch the clip below write down notes on what globalisation is and how it has occurred.
Activity Two - Impact
How has globalisation impacted our lives?
- You will be divided in to teams to compete on how many globalised products you can find within five minutes. You will need to look at the following categories.
Activity Three - Is An Interconnected World Good or Bad?
Draw a table with two columns; one headed good and the other bad. As you watch the clip below begin to fill in that grid.
Positives of Globalisation (Good)
Negatives of Globalisation (Bad)
Activity Four - Read
Using the 'Global Interactions' text book by Paul Guinness complete the following questions:
- What is the KOF Index?
- How is KOF calculated?
- How is KOF a measure of global interactions?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of KOF as a measure of global interactions?
- Extra reading - Mr Globalisation
Activity Five - Describe
- Using the map below describe the general pattern of globalisation in the world.
- We will discuss this as a group.
Activity Six - Read
- Read the article KOF Index of Globalisation 2013. Is there anything that is surprising about the standings?
- Discuss your findings with the person next to you.