002 - Why study Ancient Greece?
What did the Greeks do for us?
Activity One - Watch
(Thank you Mrs. Davison for putting the lesson together.)
For these activity you will be watching the two YouTube clips below tio find out what the Ancient Greeks actually did for us.
- Collect a piece of A4 paper and a set of coloured pens. As you watch the first YouTube clip below mindmap all the excellent things that the Ancient Greeks did for us.
- Is it their legacy that we often forget or it has evolved in to something that we see as more modern?
- Using lined paper write in the margin numbers 1 to 25 - leave a line between each number. You will be watching the second YouTube clip below which outlines 25 key inventions created by the Ancient Greeks. This will form the basis of the lesson.
Legacy of Ancient Greece
25 Key Ancient Greek Inventions
Activity Two - Record
You have now learnt about a range if different inventions that the Ancient Greeks devised. For this activity you are going to focus on the four that most interest you.
- Collect two pieces of plain paper and fold them both into four equal rectangles.
- Rule off 1cm at the top of each box and write the name of four inventions that you are interested in and the date they were invented.
- Draw a sketch diagram of each invention you have chosen.
- On the second sheet match your sketches with a brief description of the function of each of the inventions.
- Write a sentence about why these inventions are useful.
- Describe how each of the four Greek inventions are still used today.
- From the second youtube clip pick two mathematical inventions and explain how they are used in mathematics.