002 - Is it all as it seems?
What is Africa's culture like?
How is "Africa" perceived?
How have trade and associated global interactions affected Africa?
Define the words above using the useful links below. Remember to write your answers in full sentences.
- Even politicians can get it wrong. Watch the youtube clip below and write down the mistake made by the then British Secretary of State and Commonwealth Affairs and now the Prime Minister.
Activity One - Africa or Not?
People often have very specific views on what Africa is like, but what do you personally think of the makeup of the continent?
- Using the slideshow below decide whether the image was taken in a country of Africa or not. Write the slide number, state your answer and then give reasons for your answers.
- Group Discussion
- How many did you get right?
- Where you surprised by any of the answers? Why?
Activity Two - Describe
In Individuals and Societies, we use evidence from a variety of sources to understand what is happening in the world. Maps are often used to visually represent data whether it illustrates the shape of the land or represents the average earnings of a country. Below is a choropleth map which shows the number of people per km squared in Africa. But what is a choropleth map?
- Write a definition of what a choropleth map is.
- Describe the pattern of population density in Africa e.g. where are the most and least populated areas of Africa?
- Explain why some areas have very little people living there. Look back at your physical geography map.
- Explain why some areas have a lot of people living in them.
Image One - Map to show Africa's population.
Activity Three - Research and Communicate
Africa is a diverse continent both in terms of its landscape but also its culture. In fact, there are over 100 different ethnic groups with each having their own language, traditions, history, art, and crafts. And more than 1000 different languages have been recorded within the continent. The group will be divided into teams to research and create a Google presentation on one of the ethnic groups. The ethnic groups that we are going to focus on are:
- San People (otherwise known as the Bushmen or Basarwa)
- Use the grid below to help you research the key aspects of your ethnic group. Just substitute the word Bushmen for your ethnic group.
- Maximum 5 minutes. I will be timing!
- Each slide should have less than 10 words on it.
- Use lots of pictures.
- To help your team make notes for the presentation you can use the blank grid below.