003 - Geogalot
How can the process of globalisation create opportunities for new networks?
Activity One - A Picture Can Tell a Thousand Words - Can't it?
We can never visit every area that is discussed in Geography so we often rely on images to help tell the story of a particular event.
- Describe the image. Think about the physical as well as human landscape.
- Shape of the land
- Water source
- Urban environment
- Communication links
2. Where do you think this picture was taken? Explain your answer.
Activity Two - Selling geogalot a holiday - is it all spas and shopping?
Your task is to design me my perfect holiday, after all I am so busy marking your assignments I struggle to sort a vacation out for myself. But do you really know me?
Listening and being able to devise a 'good' question is important here. What makes a good question? Discuss what a 'good' question is with your partner and put your answers on the A4 white board. We will then discuss the classes's ideas as a group.
- In teams of approximately four, you will devise five yes or no questions to find out my requirements.
- The group will listen to each teams questions and record any answer that they believe is relevant.
Using the answers in 'Part One' devise a holiday for geogalot. You will need to include the following:
- Location map - where? Be precise, choose a city or specific town.
- Why am I going to this particular destination?
- How will I get there? - airline, cost, timings.
- Where will I be staying? - accommodation, cost, how long.
- What would you recommend me to do while I am there? - if I am walking, what particular route? If I am shopping, where am I going and why? How can I get there from the accommodation you have booked.
- What impact may I have on the area? Should my impact be limited? Why?
- You will present the holiday on one side of A4.
- I would recommend using a GoogleDoc to be able to share your ideas with your team easily.
How will I be assessed?
Criterion A: Knowing and Understanding
Criterion B: Investigating
Criterion D: Thinking Critically
Activity Three - Evaluation
Evaluate how well your holiday design went. Try and answer the following questions in your evaluation. Record your thoughts in full sentences on lined paper.
- How could you improve the style of questioning?
- How well did your team design an action plan to create a holiday?
- How could you communicate your ideas more effectively?
- How well did you work as a team?