002 - Nation States
What factors are needed to be a Nation State?
What events separated state from religion?
There are no new terms for this lesson.
Activity One - Define
In the last lesson we defined the idea of a nation state along with a number of political view points but what actually defines a Nation State?
- What factors define a Nation State?
- What is the difference between a sovereign state and those who are part of a global state system?
Activity Two - Watch
The concept of the Nation State did not just happen. It was something that evolved over time and was cemented in our history due to the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. As a group, watch the Youtube clip answer the following questions (there is also a website link that will help you) written below:
- What factors made the Holy Roman Empire so strong?
- Why did the 30 years war occur?
- How did the 30 years war end?
- Why is the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 a crucial date for defining Nation States?