005 - Life in a Castle
What was it like to live or work in a castle?
We will be using the words above throughout the lesson to explore the different roles that people have within the castle walls. There is no need to define them at the beginning of the lesson.
Activity One - Watch
Watch the short clip below it gives a humorous idea of what life was like for the wealthy living in a castle. As you watch the clip record what life was like in bullet point form on paper for your folder.
Activity Two - What was life really like in a castle?
It is your task to develop a guide for next years Year 8 focusing on what life was like in a medieval castle from the owners and workers perspective. You will be working in teams of two or three and the 'pot of destiny' will decide who you will be working with. As you are working in teams do make sure your write your name on the sections that you completed. The guide will be hand written on A4 paper but you can print off images and stick them on the paper. You will need to include the following things:
Key role of a castle
- Why were castles built?
Living in a castle
- Different rooms
- Keeping clean
- Making the castle look attractive
- Keeping warm
Working in a castle
- Role of the constable
- Different jobs e.g. blacksmith, trenchermen, ladies-in-waiting etc what did they do and why?
Food and the Kitchen
- What did people eat and why? Would everyone in the castle get the same food?
Entertainment and Leisure
- Who were the minstrels and troubadours? What was their role?
- What sports did the nobility play?
- Where did the board and card games come from?
- What events were put on to combine sports and military training?
Structure of the Assignment
When developing your guide think about the structure, remember to check your spellings and include the following:
- A title Page
- Contents Page
- Clear Headings
- Definitions of key words
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed using criterion A - Knowing and Understanding and B - Investigating.