003 - Groundwater management
Explain (A02) the functioning and management of artesian basins and aquifers, distinguishing between natural and artificial recharge.
Examine (AO3) the environmental impacts of groundwater abstraction.
Define the terms below using your 'IB Geography. Course Book' by Cooke and Nagle, Landmark Geography 'Water Resources: Process and Management' and the command term posters in the classroom and the links below.
- Artesian Basin
- Natural recharge
- Artificial recharge
Activity One - Questions
- Watch the Youtube clip below and make notes on what groundwater is.
Using the textbook 'Water Resources: Processes and Management' by Landmark Geography answer the following questions:
- What is an artesian basin?
- What is the function of an artesian basin?
- How can artesian basins be managed?
- What is an aquifer?
- What is the function of an aquifer?
- How can aquifers be managed?
- What is natural recharge?
- What is artificial recharge?
Activity Two - Examples
- Using a series of examples to illustrate your ideas, what environmental impacts are caused by ground water extraction? Think pollutants as well as the extraction.
- 'Planet Geography' by Stephen Codrington Pages 197-200
- 'Geography Course Companion' by Nagle and Cooke Pages 126-127
Exam Style Question
Groundwater's biggest foe is agriculture. Discuss (10 marks)