002 - Perceptions
- What does the map below illustrate?
- Mark on your world map with a cross the countries in the box below.
- Countries to mark on your map
- Imagine you are going on a gap year and you have chosen to visit the countries you have marked on your map, join up the countries to make the shortest route.
- Mark your route on the blow up globe. Are there any surprises?
- Does map size matter?
OXFAM - Peters vs Mercator - Make notes on the benefits and problems of each type of map on the worksheet provided.
- Which map do you think is closer to reality? Explain your answer.
- Can that reality be different for different people and purposes?
- Draw around your hand and write the following in separate fingers.
- Who would use the Peters projection? Why?
- Who would use the Mercator projection? Why?
- Which map would you now use? Why?
- Why is it difficult to draw an accurate map?
- What have you learnt today?
What do the five countries you marked on the map have in common?