002 - Important Rivers
To have knowledge of an important river and a society that has developed along it.
- Watch the YouTube clip and write down all the different ways that we either need or use water.
- Discuss the results of the clip.
- Mark on a map of the world on the following continents and rivers. Remember to write the continents horizontally in capitals. You could create a key for the rivers as there may be little space.
Yellow River (Huang He)
- Using different colours show the location of the early civilisations written below. Remember to develop a key for the different colours.
- Early American
- Indus Valley
- Using the map you have just completed answer the following questions:
- Which civilisations were likely to have had contact with each other?
- Between which lines of latitude did the early civilisations develop? Try and explain your answer.
- What critical factor concerning the location encouraged the growth of the early civilisations?
You will need to use your ATLAS and 'Ancient World' text book.
- Complete a poster board presentation outlining the importance of a particular river. The presentation should last no more than 10 minutes.
Your presentation will need to include the following sections:
- Location of the river - hand drawn map with the key cities located alongside it.
- Who used(s) the river and why they did so.
- Why the river was particularly important (resources, energy, agriculture, drinking, transport etc).
- The history of the river: when it was discovered, the development of towns, pollution etc.
- Read through your work carefully.
- Spell check your work.
You will be assessed using Criterion B: Investigating, D: Communicating.
Possible Rivers to Study
- Huang He