005 - Adaptation
How have plants and animals managed to adapt to living in the harsh conditions of a hot desert?
Define the word above using one of the dictionaries in the classroom.
Activity One - Watch
- As you watch the clip below make notes on how the Saguaro cactus has adapted to surviving in the desert.
Activity Two - Draw and Annotate
- In your book draw a diagram of the Saguaro cacti. The diagram should be about one third of a page and have room around it to add information about the cacti.
- At the base of the cacti draw a series of roots in the soil.
- There are a series of descriptions in the table below which state how the Saguaro has adapted to living in the desert, but they do not make complete sense as some of the words are scrambled. Unscramble the words and annotate the diagram with them.
Activity Three - Watch
- While listening to the song try and answer the following questions:
- Why does a camel have a hump?
- How is a camel equipped for sandstorms?
- Why does a camel have long fur?
- Why does a camel have big, broad feet?
- Why does the camel's body temperature vary?
Activity Four - Draw and Label
- Draw a diagram of a camel in your book. The diagram should be about a third of a page.
- Using the words in the help box below, label the camel to show how it survives in the desert.
Long Eyelashes Large flat feet Thick Fur Hump Ear flaps Muscular and hairy nostrils
Varying Body Temperature