3 - Natural Environments: Landscapes
Shaping the Earth
This unit focuses on the investigation of how plate tectonics have helped to shape our planet. Students will investigate the three main rock types while focusing on the formations caused by karstic environments.
Change - the development of rocks and their associated landforms.
Processes - what processes create different rock types?
Globalisation and Sustainability - can fragile karstic environments be used in a sustainable manner?
Statement of Inquiry
Change is a dynamic concept that creates spectacular landscapes.
Factual Questions: Remembering facts and topics
- What are the three main types of rock?
- What is a karstic environment?
- What landforms can be found in karstic environments and how are they formed?
Conceptual Questions: Analysing big ideas
- How is change an inevitable process in a karstic environment?
Debatable Questions: Evaluating perspectives and developing theories.
- Karstic landscapes are fragile and should not be exploited by humans. Discuss.