003 - Mineral Extraction Part Two
Examine the opportunities and challenges posed for resource development (mineral extraction and any associated settlement and communications).
Define the words above using the knowledge you have learnt from this unit already.
Activity One - Watch
- Watch the clip below and describe how the extraction of diamonds has changed the country.
Activity Two - Case Study
Image One - A map to show the location of diamond mines in Namibia
Image Two - Diamond Mind
- Using the map above describe the location of diamond mines in Namibia.
- Why does Namibia want to exploit their diamonds? To help you to do this read the diamond facts link below.
- How are the diamonds extracted from the desert?
- Using image two describe the impact that a diamond mine can have on the desert area.
Important Reading - Final Call by Leo Hickman
- You were all asked to buy 'Final Call' in Year 12 for your summer reading - read Chapter 2 'A Line in the Sand' which focuses on Dubai and the challenges that were faced to extract oil in this region.