001 - Reasons for Exploration
Why did people explore during the Renaissance period?
Who were the earliest explorers?
Why were the explorers achievements seen as incredible feats?
Activity One - Describe
- Describe the location of the key empires of 1400 to 1700.
- Why do you think there is a Euro centric bias to this?
Activity Two - Watch
Answer the questions using the YouTube clip below:
- Write down all the explorers, where they were from and where they went to that John Green mentions.
- Who dominated trade?
- Why were the explorers eager to set sail?
- What were the explorers boats like?
- What is a flagship boat?
- Why was China important at this time?
- Why was the Chinese Wall built? What impact did the wall have?
- Why was Prince Henry the Navigator important?
- Why does John Green call the Portuguese 'glorified pirates'?
- What was the negative impact of exploration?
Activity Three - Technological Innovations
During this period of history travel was extremely dangerous; there was no technology as we know it today (even my little mini has Sat Nav) but that doesn't mean there wasn't anything to guide these intrepid explorers on their travels. Explain how the following instruments were used to aid the sailors on their journeys:
- Knotted Rope