002 - Hatch, Match and Dispatch
What are birth, death and fertility rates?
What factors effect birth, death and fertility rates?
Activity One - Skill - Describe
Answer the following questions in full sentences on lined paper.
- Using Image One, describe the trend of global birth rates.
- Using Image Two, describe the pattern of global fertility rates.
Activity Two - Explanation
You have now discovered the changes in birth rates across the world but why has this happened. Answer the following question and you may want to use the images to help you.
- Using a sheet of A4 paper mind map the reasons why birth rates differ across the world. If you are unsure then take a look at the images below to prompt you.
Activity Three - Discussion
You now have a number of ideas concerning the different factors which can have an influence on the fertility and therefore birth rate of a population. Looking at the population size of a country is not as simple as just focusing on the overall birth rate. Answer the following questions based on your new knowledge of population and birth rates.
- Why might there be a low birth or fertility rate but still a rise in the total population of a country?
- There is often a correlation between high birth rates and high death rates. Explain why this might be in no more than 10 sentences.
- Explain why a country may have a natural increase in population.
- Explain why a country may have a natural decrease in population.