003 - Food Insecurity
Examine (AO3) the environmental, demographic, political, social and economic factors that have caused areas of food deficiency and food insecurity.
Define the words above using the Command Term posters in the classroom, your 'Geography Course Companion' by Cooke and Nagle and the links provided.
Activity One - Watch
- Watch the video below and make notes on what food security actually means.
- Is food insecurity just an issue for the poor in LEDCS? How much do we really know? Click on the link below and take the test.
Activity Two - Comprehension
- Using the map above describe the distribution of areas which are food insecure?
- Mind map the causes of this distribution. We will discuss this as a group as well.
- Copy the table below and using the different columns write a list of the different factors which impact the level of food deficiency and food security.
- The links below, the clip you have just watched and pages 262-263 in the 'Geography Course Companion' by Nagle and Cooke will help you to do this fully.
Example - Ethiopia 2008-2009
Activity Four - Case Study
- Develop a guide that examines the causes of famine within one country. Remember to go back to the syllabus point and include the environmental, demographic, social, political and economic causes.
- You could use the generic table in activity two to help you.
Exam Style Question
Examine the variety of causes responsible for a recent famine. 10 marks
- Clear evaluation of the causes
- Use the essay grid to plan the essay