001 - What was it
What were the middle ages in Europe like?
Were the middle ages really 'dark'?
Activity One - Watch
For this first activity we are going to find out what the middle ages were actually like. To do this we are going to watch two clips.
- For the first youtube clip we will watch it together and I would like you to write down everything it tells you about the Middle Ages on the padlet. We will be using the padlet as I am sure you know Crash Course History goes a bit quick! This can also be done using an A3 piece of paper and mind mapping the notes.
- Then watch the second clip and add to your notes.
Activity Two - Describe
For this activity we are going to be looking at a series of images to find out what was good about the Middle Ages and what was not. Complete the bullet points below and the second set of bullet points after the first set of images.
- Describe what is happening in each of the first four pictures.
- What do those pictures tell us about Medieval Europe?
- Now describe the second set of four pictures.
- What does the second set tell us about the Middle Ages.
First Set of Images
Second Set of Images
Activity Three - Thoughts
You have now watch two youtube clips and viewed eight images to find out what the Middle Ages were like. Now write an opinion piece to answer the question below. Write no more than 300 words.
- Using your descriptions of the images above do you think the Middle Ages were a violent and uneducated era? Explain your answer.