004 - Advance and Retreat
Geographic Knowledge and Understanding
The changing distribution of extreme environments over time, including the advance and retreat of glaciers and natural desertification.
Scale is vital when studying the changing distribution of extreme environments over time. Climate change at a global scale is having an impact on the local scale such as natural desertification and glacial retreat (and advance). Natural processes are involved in both scenarios. There are possibilities that actions of humans can accelerate the processes.
To be able to describe and explain the changing distribution of extreme environments over time.
To be able to describe the global situation regarding the changes to glaciers over time.
To be able to explain the processes linked to the advance and retreat of glaciers.
To be able to explain the processes associated with natural desertification.
- Systems Diagram
Define the words above by using the useful links below:
Image One - Glacier Systems Diagram
Activity One - Describe
- Watch the short clip below and describe the long term global trend in warming temperatures.
Activity Two - Glacial Changes
- How does a glacier actually form? Use the links in the 'Useful Resources' box to help you.
- Watch the youtube clip above and write notes on how glaciers move and how they help to shape the landscape.
- You defined what a system is for physical geography at the beginning of the lesson, now draw a systems diagram for a glacier.
- Using image two below describe the changes to the thickness of mountain glacial ice since the 1970s. Don't forget to include figures.
Image Two - Changes to Mountain Glacial Thickness Since 1970
Taken From: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Glacier_Mass_Balance_Map.png
Activity Three - Desert Changes
- By watching the youtube clip above and reading the two articles in the 'Useful Resources' box, describe the natural and human causes of desertification.
- Using image three describe which areas of the world are vulnerable to desertification.
Image Three - A map to show the areas which are vulnerable to desertification
Taken From: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Desertification_map.png/800px-Desertification_map.png
Exam Style Questions
State and explain one significant process involved in natural desertification. [1 + 3]
State and explain one significant process involved in glacial retreat. [1 + 3]