005 - West African Kingdom
Which were some of the important kingdoms of Africa during the Middle Ages?
How did religion impact the Kingdom of Mali?
Where was the Kingdom of Mali located?
How did the Kingdom of Mali achieve their wealth?
- Using the map above describe where the Kingdom of Mali was located in Africa.
- What natural advantages did the Kingdom of Mali have? If you are struggling go back and have a look at your biomes map we completed during lesson one.
- What problems did the landscape perhaps cause for the development of the Kingdom?
- Trade was very important during this time, what animal may they have used to help them transport their goods? (Extra points for telling me how that animal has 'adapted' to the environment.)
If you are good we will watch the youtube clip below.
Activity Two - Sources
- Look at the four sources below. What do they tell us about the Medieval Kingdom of Mali. Make sure you explain your answers.
Activity Three - Watch
- Your task is to write a diary extract for a trader, servant or other person travelling with Mansa Musa as he undertook the Haj (pilgrimage) to Mecca in 1324 CE (724 AH). You can choose to write about one or several days on the journey (maybe when the caravan entered an oasis, or the city of Alexandria, or just about life on the journey). Try to be true to what the experience of travel would have been like at that time.
Things to include:
- Activity - what are you doing and others doing?
- People around you
- Overall experience
- At least one page of A4 but no more than two.
- If typing - size 12 font
- Check your spellings and grammar.
How will I be assessed? Formative
How will I be assessed?
Criterion A: Knowing and Understanding
Criterion C: Communicating