008 - Boom and bust
Can too much tourism be a negative thing?
Activity One - Identify
Images can tell us a thousand things without any words but what can the one below tell us?
- Where in the world was this picture taken? Justify your answer.
Activity Two - Watch
You have described quite an idyllic place in the image in activity one but lets have a look at what it looks like today.
- Watch the youtube clip below of the introduction to the comedy series Benidorm and write on the padlet what Benidorm is like today.
- Would you visit Benidorm in its current state? Justify your answer.
Activity Three - Models
Now it is time to use models to explain why tourist spots can go through a period of boom and bust. Use the slideshare to answer the questions - Thank you Mr. Allaway www.geographyalltheway.com
- Draw a copy of the Butler's model.
- Describe the different stages of the model by annotating your model.
- Draw a Butler's model for Benidorm. Use the example and the articles in the 'Useful Resources' box.
Image Two - Butler's Model for Blackpool, UK