008 - Storm Chasers
How was a specific hurricane caused?
What damage was caused by a specific hurricane?
Did the area ever recover from the specific hurricane?
Image One - Hurricane Harvey 2017 - New York Times
Taken From: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/hurricane-harvey-texas.html
- SEEP - Social, Environmental, Economic, Political Factors
We will be using the above terms throughout the next few lessons and categorising the type of damage caused by hurricanes.
Activity One - Newspaper Report
You are a reporter for National Geographic and you have been given the assignment to develop a newspaper report that will describe and explain the impact a hurricane has had on an area. You can choose any hurricane that has occurred throughout the world; there is no constraint on location or year that it swirled. Do be careful of the word count. Journalists have to stay within a certain word count for each article to fit in to their allocated section on a page.
The newspaper report must be set in a standard newspaper article format (as seen below) and should include the following information.
- Location – Where did the devastation take place? (Remember to include a map).
- Explanation of how it happened - Why did the hurricane take place? Include diagrams.
- Description of what happened – Time line of events.
- The effect of the damage – Economic (buildings, roads, infrastructure), social (people forced to move), and environmental (landscape).Try and include eye witness accounts.
- What is being done to rebuild the damage caused? How can we inform people about the danger of hurricanes? E.g. evacuation/ emergency plans.
Presentation of Newspaper Report
- Word Limit - 750 maximum
- Columns for the information
- Images/sketches/maps needed figure numbers need a title
How will I be Assessed?
You will be formally assessed on your newspaper report and I will be focusing on Criterion A - Knowing and Understanding and Criterion C - Communicating.
Criterion A: Knowing and Understanding
Criterion C: Communicating
Katrina 2005 USA
Wilma 2005 Cuba
Irene 2011 USA
Sandy 2012 USA
Harvey 2017 USA