004 - Global Climate Change - Impacts and management
Geographic Knowledge and Understanding
The impacts and management of global climate change in extreme environments, including adaptation by local populations.
Future possibilities for the impact of climate change upon extreme environments can be modeled based upon past patterns and trends from collected data. The impacts of climate change can be managed at different scales. Climate change in extreme environments will have cultural and social impacts on populations and create the possibility for economic and demographic change.
To be able to describe and explain the impacts and management of global climate change in high latitude and altitude extreme environments, including adaptation by local populations.
- Ablation (you should already know this)
Activity One - Detailed Example - Alaska
For this syllabus point, you need to look at not just the general impact of climate change in extreme environments but specifically how the local or indigenous population are adapting to cope with the change. To do this we are going to revisit Alaska, USA.
- Using the Bloomberg link in the 'Useful Resources' box describe the changes in the climate Arctic Circle. Don't forget to include data in your answer.
- Using Google Maps above describe where Barrow is located.
- Why can the location of Barrow be described as extreme?
- Watch the youtube clip below and make notes on the share padlet describing what the issue in Barrow is and how the local population are adapting to the changes.
- Read through everyones notes on the padlet and then transfer the key points on to your paper. Flesh the notes out by reading The Guardian article in the 'Useful Resources' box.
- Much of what we have discussed so far has focused on the negative impacts of climate change in this region but are there any benefits? Read the second Bloomberg link in the 'Useful Resources' box and make notes on how the economy could develop.
Activity Two - Detailed Example - The Alps
We are going to focus much closer to home by exploring how ski resorts in the Alps are also being forced to adapt to the warmer temperatures.
- Develop a detailed example of how the Alps and specifically Chamonix is adapting to climate change and why.
- No more than a A5 page of notes
- Try and bullet point
- Remember to include data
Exam Style Question
Examine the adaptation of the local population to the consequences of climate change in an extreme environment. [10 Marks]