002 - Population Change - Part Two
Analyse (AO2) population pyramids.
Explain (AO2) population momentum and its impact on population projections.
- Population pyramids
- Population momentum
Define the terms above using the command terms in the classroom, your 'Geography Course Companion' and the useful links below.
Activity One - Draw
- Draw three population pyramids to show the different shapes at each level of development, LEDC, NIC and MEDC. Remember to label your pyramid with the key features e.g. high birth rate, low life expectancy etc.
- What is the purpose of using a population pyramid?
- What are the benefits of using population pyramids?
- Are there any limitations of using data from population pyramids?
- Find the population pyramids for the countries you chose to research in the previous lesson and describe their shape. Explain the causes of the population pyramid shape.
Activity Two - Models
Answer the following questions using resources below:
- What is the Demographic Transition Model?
- What is the Demographic Transition Model base on?
- What are the limitations of the Demographic Transition Model?
- What can the model be used to show?
- Describe the different stages of the model?
- Why might there be a fifth stage? What impact may this have on population projections?
- Complete the jigsaw puzzle of the model and stick the completed version on to paper for your folder.