005 - Food Insecurity
What is food insecurity?
What is food aid?
The gift of food aid always has a negative impact. Discuss
- Food Insecurity
- Food Aid
You will define the words above throughout the lesson but if you are still unsure of their meaning the links below will help you.
Activity One - Discuss
- Define the words in the key terminology box.
- Where in the world do people suffer from food insecurity? Why?
Activity Two - Watch and Note Taking
- How has the video impacted your views concerning people who suffer from food insecurity?
- There are four key stages of food insecurity. Go through the PowerPoint slides and make notes on the different stages.
Activity Three - Food Aid
- What is food aid?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of food aid?
Example of corruption surrounding food aid in Somalia.
Activity Four - Newspaper
- Write a newspaper report outlining the issues of hunger from a country of your choice. The newspaper will need to include the following points:
- the geographic causes of hunger - social, economic, environmental and political factors (SEEP).
- the stage of food insecurity the country is in.
- the impact of hunger - SEEP
- an evaluation of the aid that is given.
- suggestions of how to solve the issue of hunger
How will I be assessed?
Criterion A: Knowing and Understanding
Criterion C: Communicating
Criterion D: Thinking Critically