002 - Mineral Extraction - Part One
Periglacial areas: examine (AO3) examine the opportunities and challenges posed by permafrost and other characteristics of periglacial areas for resource development (mineral extraction and any associated settlement and communications).
Define the words above using the 'Command Term' posters in the classroom and your notes from previous lessons.
Activity One - Review
We have looked at the extraction of oil in fragile environments before so this syllabus point should be more of a review than whole new learning. Watch the youtube clip below and make notes on the following points:
- What are the challenges of building in this extreme environment?
- Develop a time line of the history of the build of the pipeline.
- Where does the pipeline go? (Use the map above to help you)
- How has Prudhoe Bay developed over the years?
- Describe how the buildings have been adapted to cope with the cold.
- What problems can the pipeline cause?