004 - Production and Markets
Examine (AO3) the impacts at a variety of scales of trade barriers, agricultural subsidies, bilateral and multilateral agreements, and TNCs on the production and availability of food.
- Trade Barrier
- Transnational Corporation
Define the words above using the textbook 'Geography Course Companion' by Nagle and Cooke pages 266-267 and the 'Command Term' posters in the classroom.
Activity One - Describe
- Using the map below describe the flow of nuts across the world.
- Mind map the different factors that could impact the flow of nuts around the world. Consider production as well as availability.
- Now add ideas from the clip below.
- As a group discuss the findings so far.
Activity Two - Summarise
- Develop a summary of how the factors effect the production and availability of food around the world. The articles and clips below will give clear examples and depth to the initial group discussions.
These can be physical barriers but are often in the form of quotas and tariffs. The quotas and tariffs can be imposed by individual countries or by trading blocs.
Farming is an industry that is often subsidised as the cost of the food is sold at a lower price than it takes to produce. The EU and America have a long history of giving farmers supplementary money but it can have negative consequences on regions of the world who are less able to support themselves.
A bilateral agreement is often made between two countries. The link can often be traced back to colonial times.
A multilateral agreement is one that takes place between a number of countries; this could be in the form of a trading bloc such as the EU and NAFTA, non-government organisations or as the World Trade Organisation.
- A Guide to Trading Blocs
- Advantages and disadvantages of trading blocs also look at the short example of sugar in the EU.
Transnational Corporations (TNC)
A TNC is a corporation that can be found in a range of countries across the world, they have become this large because they sell something that we have come to love.
Exam Style Essay
Using the essay grid complete a plan for the following essay title:
Using examples, discuss the impact of international influences on food production and the availability of food.