003 - Information flows
Explain (AO2) the role of ICT in the growth of international outsourcing.
Define the words above using the 'Command Word' posters in the classroom, your 'Geography Course Companion' textbook by Nagle and Cooke and the links below:
Activity One - Watch
In this increasingly connected world outsourcing is big business in certain countries throughout the world. Outsourcing isn't just about the manufacturing of T-shirts in a different country to the designing it can also include a variety of call centre services or even radiology. But how far would you go to reduce your work load? Watch the youtube clip below on outsourcing.
- From watching the parody above, brainstorm the reasons behind why outsourcing is on the rise?
- Remember the question is asking us to explain the role of ICT in the growth of outsourcing, so while a common language is important the crux of any question remains ICT.
- With that in mind - What ICT innovations have allowed companies to outsource to other countries?
- The youtube clip below will help you.
Activity Two - The Winners
As with all things there are winners and losers when there is a shift in how an aspect of business occurs. Some regions of the world are going to benefit over others. To find out more answer the questions below.
- Which countries are the primary winners of outsourcing?
- Explain why you think these countries are winning.
Image One - A bar graph to show the percentage of outsourcing within certain countries
Exam Style Question
Analyse the role of ICT in the growth of international outsourcing. (10 marks)
Thank you Leah Edwards for this