001 - Growth of Travel
What is tourism?
How has the process of tourism created diverse interconnections between places?
Activity One - What is Tourism?
All of you have been on a holiday before and perhaps you have been on different types of holidays, after all not everyone just goes to the beach each summer. Tour companies categorise holidays to help encourage people to go on a certain type of trip. Geographers look at the different types of holidays to see if there is a trend in what people like to do and where they are likely to go. It is done because tourism has a huge impact on our physical and human environments.
- On the A4 whiteboards, list all the different types of tourism that you can think of? E.g a beach holiday
- Why do people visit places or go on holiday? Write three paragraphs to explain your answer. If you are struggling then use the article in the 'Useful Resource' box below.
- Watch the YouTube clip and write down how COVID 19 has impacted or disrupted the growth of the tourism industry.
Activity Two - Skill - Has tourism grown? Why?
At the beginning of many units that you will study within Individuals and Societies we will look for evidence of change by interpreting graphs. This is done before we consider the 'why'. Being able to interpret graphs is an important skill to master within Individuals and Societies.
- Watch the first YouTube clip below and describe how and why we use graphs in Individuals and Societies.
- Looking at Image One in the 'Useful Resources' box and describe the global changes in tourism. Remember to write in full sentences.
- Using a detailed mind map, explain the causes behind the changes in tourism? You can use the two articles in the 'Useful Resources' box.
- Write a paragraph to explain the factors which might stop people from wanting to travel? Hint - think about what you have heard on the news or read online.
How to describe graphs
When you describe a graph you need do complete the following steps:
- Describe the general trend.
- Illustrate that trend using data.
- Describe any anomalies - bits that don't follow the trend.
- Illustrate that trend using data (numbers).
Transport Internet Money Time Expectations Life Expectancy
Disease Conflict Cost Fear Disasters Visas
Suggestions of Sentence Beginnings
- ... may prevent tourist from travelling because...
- Tourists may decide to not visit a country because...
- .Tourism may slow down in an area because...
- I might be afraid to travel because...
Now lets look at the changes in tourism much closer to home. The graph below focuses on the changes in tourism over five years for Switzerland. Answer the questions below:
- Looking at Image Two, describe the number of arriving tourists into Swizerland.
- Explain the variations in the arrivals into Switzerland.