002 - How well do you know America?
Can you name all of the 50 states of the USA?
Could you locate those states on a map?
What are the state capitals of the USA?
Photo Credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/41819313@N02/7482732956/">Kullez</a> via <a href="http://compfight.com">Compfight</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>
Activity - Draw and label
Before we investigate where the safest place in America is to live, we need to have some basic knowledge of the country.
- On a piece of A3 paper draw an outline of the USA. Every map needs:
- Compass Point
- The USA is not an island and you will therefore need to show that it joins Canada and Mexico
- Now on that map draw the state boundaries.
If you are struggling the map below will help you.
Taken from: http://www.statemapsonline.com/images/usa/Blank-Map-of-USA-States.jpg
Activity Two - Naming the States
- On an A4 white board name the states of the USA.
- Hint - there are 50!
- Mark the states on to your map in capital letters.
- Can you also name the states capitals?
- Mark the location of the states capital on to your map with a red circle.
- Write the name of the states in lower case.
Activity Three - Research
We have all heard that America is the most powerful country in the world economically and military but is it? We need data to back up our statements to make them valid. Answer the following questions writing the information for the top country and America:
- Which country has the most overall wealth?
- Which country has the longest life expectancy?
- Which country has the greatest amount of calorie intake?
- Which country has the greatest percentage of people on line?
- Which is the most globalised country in the world?
- Which country spends the most supporting its military structure?
How to Research
Websites to get you started
- Has the data you have found impacted how you view America? Explain your answer in no more than 300 words.