003 - Disparities and Change Part One
Identify (AO1) and explain (AO2) the changing patterns and trends of regional and global disparities of life expectancy, education and income.
- Life Expectancy
Define the words above using the useful links below, the 'Command Term' posters in the classroom and your 'Geography Course Companion' textbook by Nagle and Cooke.
Useful to Watch
Activity One - Indicators
Geography uses indicators to be able to compare and contrast different regions and areas of the world. For this section of the course we are looking at indicators which allow us to compare the life expectancy, education rates and income levels of areas. But which indicators specifically should we be looking at?
- Choose an indicator for life expectancy, education and income.
- Justify why you have chosen that specific indicator to use in your comparisons over others.
To help you to do this use your 'Geography Course Companion' textbook by Cooke and Nagle, if you do Higher Level Geography your course notes and the useful resources below:
- World Health Organisation - Health Expectancy Indicators
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development - Health
- OECD - GNI
- OECD - Access to Education
Activity Two - Describe
Describing patterns and trends are something you are often asked to do in Geography but what actually are they? A pattern is something you often see on a map when you can group countries or regions of the world with common factors together. A trend is something that you see on a graph as you need to see a change over time.
Figure One - World Life Expectancy Map 2013
Taken From: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-life-expectancy-map
Figure Two - A graph to show the changing life expectancy.
- Using figure one, describe the pattern of life expectancy that can be seen on the map. Remember to include data.
- Explain why the map is showing the pattern above.
- Using figure two, describe the trend in global life expectancy.
- Using figure two, describe the regional changes in life expectancy.
- Explain why the changes have occurred. Remember one word answers are not enough.
Figure three - % of literacy rates 2012
- Using figure three, describe the pattern of adult literacy rates.
- Using the link below describe the changes to adult literacy rates.
- Explain why you think the changes may have happened.
Use the link below for the general trend in changes in GNI over time.
- Describe the trend in GNI over time.
- Describe the global pattern of GNI for 2015.
- Explain why those changes may have occurred.