003 - Water and Change
Identify (AO1) the ways in which water is utilised at the regional scale.
Examine (AO3) the factors affecting access to safe drinking water.
Examine (AO3) the environmental and human factors affecting the patterns and trends in physical water scarcity and economic water scarcity.
- Physical water scarcity
- Economic water scarcity
- Safe drinking water
Define the words above using the 'Command Term' posters in the classroom, your 'Geography Course Companion' and the useful links below.
Activity One - Describe
- Using the map above describe where there is physical water scarcity in the world.
- Using the map above describe where there is economic water scarcity in the world.
- Write a list of ways that water is used/utilised.
- Access to clean water is a millennium development goal - make notes on the MDG.
- Read the article by the Huffington Post and make notes on cities in the USA that are water scarce.
Activity Two - Explain
- Complete the table below outlining the environmental and human causes of water scarcity.
Activity Three - Factors Effecting Safe Drinking Water
Stage One - General Causes and Effects
- As a group we will watch the overview video on what impacts access to safe drinking water. You need to making notes on why this is an important issue, the amount of people who live without access to safe drinking water and the potential causes and effects.
- You are now going to be focusing primarily on the treatment and distribution as this will form the basis for your case studies.
- Particularly focus on diseases
- Arsenic Pollution in Bangladesh
- Pollution in Cambodia (You can also use the 'Planet Geography' text book for pollution in Bangkok.
- When viewing the distribution page do try and link the inequalities of water access to different areas of the course e.g. gender and wealth.
Exam Style Question
Explain two human factors which cause water scarcity. (2 x 3 marks).