003 - Resource stewardship and the UN SDGs
Geographic knowledge and understanding
Resource stewardship strategies, including:
- the role of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the progress made towards meeting them.
The differing situations in countries impact their possibility for managing resources sustainably. Those countries that can effect change create the potential for an increasingly powerful nation.
- To have knowledge and understanding of the role of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (that deal with resource stewardship strategies focusing on food, energy and water). To have knowledge of the progress made towards meeting those SDGs.
- Resource Stewardship
- Resource efficiency
- Transgressing planetary boundaries
Define the words above my using the 'useful links' below.
- Wikipedia Definition: Stewardship
- European Commission Definition: Resource Efficiency
- Scientific America Definition: Transgressing Planetary Boundaries - read the article on this and write notes on how we are crossing the planetary boundary
- Smithsonian Museum Definition: Anthropocene
Activity One - Describe
We often talk about the Sustainable Development Goals as if we know what all are as well as how we hope to achieve them. But what really are the Sustainable Development Goals and are they realistic to be be able to achieve? Watch the youtube clip below using videonot.es and make notes on:
- What the SDGs are.
- How the Millennium Development Goals were successful.
- What we can learn from the Millennium Development Goals?
- What the social index is.
- If the Sustainable Development Goals can be achieved.
Activity Two - Sustainable Development Goals
We are going to focus on three main Sustainable Development Goals:
- Goal Two - End hunger, achieve food security and improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal Six - Clean Water and Sanitation
- Goal Seven - Affordable and Clean Energy
The group is going to be divided into three teams which will then be given a specific goal to focus on. Each team will need to research and record the following points on LucidPress.
- Write one sentence from the introduction of the goal which shows how it links to resource stewardship.
- Record two facts or figures linking the goal to resource stewardship.
- Describe three of the goals targets that link to resource stewardship.
- Include two visualisations to show the achievements so far.
- Write two paragraphs to describe and explain the progress so far made towards meeting that SDG.
Now each team has found the information and recorded it clearly on Lucidpress. Two of you are now going to be nominated as the experts from each team and they are to inform another team about what they have found. Those listening will take notes from the experts - this will be done on paper. Each team will rotate around the goals. Once the original teams are back together those who listened will become the experts and teach the original 'experts' the information.
Exam Style Question
For a named Sustainable Development Goal, explain how one of its targets can be viewed as a resource stewardship approach. [4 marks]