005 - Conservation Strategies Part Two
Evaluate (AO3) a strategy at a local or national scale aimed at reducing the consumption of one resource.
Define the word above using the 'Command Term' posters in the classroom.
Activity One - Describe
- Look at the infographic above and write down the figures that are the most hard hitting about food waste in the UK.
- Read the article from the The Guardian below and write down why food waste is a major issue within the UK.
- Describe the changes in the amount of food waste in the UK using the graph below.
- Read the waste disposal review pages 58-61 from the UK government and identify the issues that are raised.
- What food is specifically being wasted?
Graph one - Food waste UK
Hopefully your description of the graph above should show that the amount of food that is being wasted is going down, we now need to find out why. Do keep in mind that while the policies are working the amount of food that is wasted within the UK is still awful. Watch the clip below and answer the following questions:
- Why is good turned down by supermarket?
- What is being done to reduce the impact of food waste?
- What is mentioned about the offers that may encourage consumers to waste food?
Activity Three - Case Study
Create a case study of a strategy that is attempting to reduce the amount of food waste within the UK. You need to include the following:
- Outline of policy
- Success of policy
- Failure of policy
You could use the 'Love Food Hate Waste' campaign which aims to reduce the amount of food waste. Watch the clip below which includes a number of celebrity chefs outlining why the campaign is important.