003 - Gender roles related to food and health
Geographic Knowledge and Understanding
Gender roles related to food and health, including food production/acquisition and disparities in health.
Gender roles have the power to impact food production/acquisition and disparities in health in different places.
- To have knowledge and understanding of gender roles related to food production and acquisition.
- To have knowledge and understanding of gender roles related to disparities in health.
Activity One - Discussion
Before we begin to look at specific examples of how gender can impact access to food and health we are going to have a general discussion about it as you will have more knowledge than you think.
- Collect a piece of A3 paper and mind map the reasons why the different genders may have different access to food and health in different areas of the world. You could try and colour code it into social, economic and political reasons. Think about what we have already studied and what you may have heard in the news.
- Now discuss your findings with the group and add any of their thoughts to the mind map.
Activity Two - Note Taking - Gender and Agriculture
We are now going to 'flesh' out your ideas by watching a series of YouTube clips and reading a variety of articles. We will initially focus on food and agriculture. Remember the examiners love data so it would be really helpful to add a series of data points to your mind map along with creating a examples of place.
Activity Three - Note Taking - Health
We are now going to look at how gender can impact health. This can clearly mean overall life expectancy but we can also consider the quality of life as well. In the previous activity we generally focused on low income countries but for this we are also going to address the disparities in high income countries. The disparities are often less discussed in the news and therefore people can be less aware of the issues that exist. Add the following points to your mind map by reading the articles in the 'Useful Resources' box.
- Describe the different causes of death globally, for the USA, Niger and two countries that are classified as high or low on the Socio-demographic index (SDI).
- Read the third article and write down notes on why women are dying at a younger age in the USA.
- Read the fourth article, describe where in the UK life expectancy is falling and why.
Exam Style Question
Explain three ways gender can impact the disparity in food production/or acquisition. [2+2+2 marks]