004 - Sociocultural integration - Part Two
Examine (AO3) the impact of cultural diffusion on one indigenous and remote society through the influence of international interactions.
- Cultural diffusion
- Indigenous Society
- Remote Society
Define the words above using your 'Global Interactions' textbook by Guinness, the Command Word posters in the classroom and the links provided below.
Activity One - Discuss
In todays world it is often difficult to find a truly remote society as increased communication has brought even the most isolated indigenous society groups into contact with the rest of the world. But that is not to say that all societies are influenced by our way of life.
- Watch the youtube clip below and write down all the ways that suggest that this tribe in the Amazon is a remote and indigenous society.
Answer the following questions using the 'Global Interactions' textbook by Guinness.
- Suggest reasons how globalisation can have a negative impact on indigenous and remote societies.
- What are the United Nations five main objectives to preserve the culture of indigenous and remote societies?
- When did the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples take place?
'Global Interactions' textbook by Guinness pages 174-175
Image One - Global Interactions
Activity Two - Case Study
For the Higher Level course it is really important to be able to discuss key concepts through the lense of an actual place. With this in mind we are going to develop a case study to show the impact that globalisation is having on an indigenous and remote society. You will need to include the following things:
- Location of the tribe
- Why are they deemed indigenous and remote?
- Description of the tribe - living conditions, religion, food, music etc.
- What is impacting the tribes lives? Think about industry, transport and communication links.
- What is the impact of this connection?
'Global Interactions. IB Geography Case Studies for the Higher Level Extension' by www.privategeotutor.com Pages 146-155.
Image Three - IB Geography Case Studies
(Very long and will need to be watched at home)
Exam Style Question
Using examples, discuss the statement 'Globalisation only ever has a negative impact on indigenous and remote societies'. [15 marks]