2 - Under Pressure - Resources
Change - how has the change in population size impacted how resources are used?
Causality, Networks and Sustainability - how has resource consumption changed over time? Can our current consumption of resources be maintained?
Scientific and Technological Innovation - Can the human race continue to react positively to the rise in population?
Statement of Inquiry
Population change has created a system in which scientific innovation is crucial to prevent disaster.
Factual Questions: Remembering facts and topics
Conceptual Questions: Analysing big ideas
Debatable Questions: Evaluating perspectives and developing theories
- What factors form the basis of neo-Malthusian and Boserup's theories of resource consumption?
- Can resources be categorised?
- What is malnourishment and what conditions create an environment in which people are malnourished?
- What is the relationship between population and resources?
- 'The catastrophe of Easter Island will happen again today.' Discuss.