001 - Dams and reservoirs
Examine (AO3) the hydrological changes resulting from the construction of dams and reservoirs.
Examine (AO3) the costs and benefits of dams and reservoirs as part of multi-purpose schemes.
Define the terms below using your 'IB Geography. Course Book' by Cooke and Nagle, the command term posters in the classroom and the links below.
- Multi-purpose scheme
Activity One - Applying Knowledge
- How does the construction of a dam and reservoir impact the movement of water around the hydrological cycle?
Hint - Think about...
- Infiltration rates
- Evaporation rates
- Page 106 in your 'Geography Course Companion' by Nagle and Cooke also has a good diagram that should prompt your ideas.
- Pages 149 - 151 in the text book 'Planet Geography' by Codrington gives a good description of the operation of a drainage basin.
Activity Two - Watch
- Watch the youtube clip below on the Three Gorges Dam in China and fill in the grid. This will give you a basis for a case study looking at implications of building a multi-purpose dam.
- 3 Gorges Dam
- Scientific American - Environmental Cost
- The Guardian - China 'warns' of urgent problems facing the 3 Gorges Dam
Exam Style Question
'Multi-purpose dams cause more costs than benefits' Discuss (10 marks)