001 - Global Patterns of Disease
Explain (AO2) the global distribution of diseases of affluence.
Explain (AO2) the global distribution of diseases of poverty.
Using the 'Command Term' posters in the classroom, the links above and a dictionary define the key words above.
- Read the article by Boundless and write brief notes on what is meant by 'disease of affluence and poverty'. Remember to give examples for each type.
Activity Two - Describe - Diseases of Poverty
It is quite challenging to find an overall map to illustrate the global distribution of poverty as there are so many diseases out there. As diseases of poverty are often caused by the spread of bacteria or a virus that is what we are going to focus on.
- Using the map below describe the global distribution of deaths caused by infections and parasites.
- Compare the relationship between deaths caused by infections and parasites and wealth.
A map to show the diseases of poverty.
A map to show the wealth of nations.
- Explain why there is a link between the distribution of global poverty and the rate of infectious diseases. You can use the links below and your 'Geography Course Companion' textbook by Nagle and Cooke.
Activity Three - Diseases of Affluence
- Watch the clip below and write down a list of diseases that are associated with affluence.
- We will go through the slideshare below and discuss the key diseases caused by affluence as a group. You will need to be prepared to take notes as we talk.
Exam Style Question
Define diseases of poverty. (2 marks)