003 - Growth of City-States
How did the city-state grow in Ancient Greece between 900-600BC?
Image One - Ancient Greece Polis
Taken From - https://www.quora.com/What-was-a-polis-in-Ancient-Greece
Define the word above using the 'Useful Link' below:
Activity One - Describe
From studying the Bronze Age Cities you already know what a city-state is but what we haven't specifically looked at is how the city-states developed within Ancient Greece. Using the first article in the 'Useful Resources' box answer the following questions on paper and in full sentences:
- Describe how the polis evolved? Remember to add the key features such as the marketplace and taxes.
- Why would a polis be built on a hill?
- What was each polis protected by?
- Describe the protection for Athens and Sparta.
- Describe how the city-states were different.
- Describe what features were the same in each polis.
- Why do you think the polis became the defining feature of Greek life?
- How did the tyrants come to power?
- Why do you think people migrated (moved) to live in a polis?
- Using the second link in the 'Useful Resources' box, describe what three different city-states in Ancient Greece were famous for.
Activity Two - Draw
Image Two - Ancient Greece
Taken From - https://www.thinglink.com/scene/655323319930716162
It is good to know why the polis grew but what important buildings could often be found in the polis and why? Answer the following two questions by looking at the image above and reading the information on the resource in the box below.
- Draw a simple diagram of a typical polis. Remember to put your diagram in a box drawn with a pencil and ruler.
- Annotate the key features of a polis by including the points bullet-pointed below. An annotation is a short description.
- Walls of defense
Activity Three - Trade
Image Three - Ancient Greek Trade
Taken From - https://gridclub.com/subscribers/info/fact_gadget_2009/1001/history/ancient_greece/459.html
- Collect the A3 worksheet from my desk on Greek Trade and answer the questions that are on the paper. Remember to write in full sentences.
Worksheets are on my desk.