004 - Tourism in
Geographic Knowledge and Understanding
Opportunities and challenges for tourism in extreme environments.
The power of the various stakeholders and their relative focus on sustainability will affect the last impacts of the industry. The possibilities of future success and sustainability are linked to careful management and global climate change.
- To be able to use detailed examples to show knowledge and understanding of the opportunities and challenges for tourism in extreme environments.
- To be able to show the involvement of local and global stakeholders.
Activity One - Cold
We will be focusing on the Alpine resort of Chamonix to investigate why tourists like to visit this area and how the resort has adapted to the opportunities and challenges of the environment. Collect a piece of A4 paper and answer the questions below:
- Using one colour on A4 paper mind map why people would want to visit Chamonix. Use the VR roundme image to help you.
- Most of you have now been, what services did you see that were available for tourists? Write your answers in a different colour.
- Using a third colour what problems did tourist pose for this area?
- Using a fourth colour write down the challenges that Chamonix faces as an Alpine tourist resort. Think about your drive into Chamonix, what you have seen in the past and the impact of climate change.
Final Call by Leo Hickman - Chapter 1 - Two Degrees from Meltdown
Activity Two - Hot
We are now going to look at the different opportunities and challenges for tourism within a hot environment and to do this you are going to investigate Dubai. Make a copy of the table below and fill it in using the information in the 'Useful Resources' box.
Activity Three - Present
The aim of this activity is to decide which extreme environment would be more beneficial to invest in. As you are now aware extreme environments are susceptible to change due to human development and global climate change. Therefore it is important to investigate the opportunities and challenges for both a hot and cold environment and you will be using Chamonix and Dubai as the key focus areas. To illustrate your knowledge of this you will present your findings using google slides. Do remember that you are trying to convince me of where to invest and I am ginger and burn easily! Use the following points to give structure to your presentation:
- Possibilities over the next 25 years.
- Involvement of local and global stakeholders
Exam Style Question
Discuss how human activities in extreme environments are unsustainable. [10 marks]