002 - Environment Impacts of Global Flows
Geographic Knowledge and Understanding
Environmental impacts of global flows at varying scales.
- Localised pollution, including impacts along shipping lanes.
The processes of global flows have the power to create environmental impacts for specific places.
- To have knowledge and understanding of the localised environmental impacts of global flows, including impacts along shipping lanes.
Activity One - Extreme Environments - Niger
We are going to revisit Niger and the impact that uranium mining has on the environment. As you have looked at this already as part of the Extreme Environments unit this should be more of a review. You do need to make sure that you are concentrating on how this pollution has occurred due to global interactions and what the specific impact has been to the environment. Answer the following questions using the YouTube clip and the article in the 'Useful Resources' box.
- In what way can uranium mining in Niger be used as an example of environmental pollution caused by global interactions?
- In what ways is uranium mining having an impact on the environment?
Activity Two - Resources - Ghana
We have already looked at the causes and impacts of e-waste in the Resources section of Paper Two. So to address this syllabus point we are going to revisit the issue of e-waste, why it is being transferred to Ghana and the impact that it has had on the environment in Agbogbloshie. Use the YouTube clip and the articles in the 'Useful Resources' box to answer the questions below.
- Why is there an increase in e-waste?
- Why can we use e-waste as a global flow?
- What are the environmental impacts of the e-waste on Agbogbloshie?
Activity Three - Shipping Lanes
The second part of this syllabus point was asking you to explore the impact that increased rates of shipping are having on the environment. We are going to focus on the threat that invasive species such as the Chinese Mitten Crab is having in Scotland due to the rise in the amount of container ships that travel throughout our oceans. Answer the following questions.
- Watch the YouTube clip and then read the second article to describe why the use of ships can cause pollution to the environment.
- Using the map in the 'Clear Seas' article where are the areas that have been impacted the most by invasive species catching a lift on ships? Why might this be the case?
- Using the Clear Seas article how can ship owners reduce the impact of invasive species?
- Now watch the second 'YouTube' clip and read the third article to create a detailed example of how invasive species are impacting the local ecology.
Exam Style Question
Analyse the impact that global flows have on the environment. [12 marks]