004 - Extension and density of networks Part 3
Examine (A03) the contrasting rates, levels and patterns of adoption of an element of ICT in two countries.
Define the words above using the 'Command Word' posters in the classroom, your 'Geography Course Companion' textbook by Nagle and Cooke and the useful links below.
Activity One - Watch
When new technology is introduced there are always pioneers that adopt it early on. It is then those who are financially able who begin to use it, but are there any other social patterns that occur? As always lets have a look at the general trends first by watching the youtube clip below.
- As you watch the YouTube clip below write notes on the changing amount of people who have access to the internet.
Activity Two - China - Read
We are going to explore China as our case study to illustrate the adoption of ICT. Remember we are looking for contrasting rates within the country and an ability to be able to explain why they have occurred. To start this off answer the questions below.
- Using the map below describe where there is the greatest internet use in China.
- By reading the articles below suggest reasons why there is such disparities in internet usage in China.
Image One - A choropleth map to show the internet use in China
Pages 53-54 in the text book 'Global Interaction' by Guinness.
Activity Three - UK
We now need to explore a second country and how the uptake of the internet has developed throughout that country. We are going to focus on the UK. Remember we are still looking at location (rural versus urban, North versus South etc) as well as differences in age, sex and culture. To do this answer the questions below.
- Using the first map below describe the change in internet usage within the UK.
- Using the second map below describe the disparities in gender and age usage.
- Explain why there may be gender and age differences in use.
- What other factors may influence internet access within the UK? Explain your answers.
Image Two - A bar graph to show the amount of internet users in the UK
Image Three - A pictochart to show the uptake of the use of the internet by age and sex in the UK.
Activity Four - Compare and Contrast
The syllabus point requires you to not only know about how the use of the internet can vary across two countries as independent countries but to also compare and contrast them. The simplest way to do this is to complete the question below by filling in the table.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between internet usage in China and the UK.
Exam Style Question
Analyse recent growth trends in the use of ICT for one or more countries or regions you have studied. (10 marks)