007 - Hazardous Conditions
How do tectonic hazards occur within ocean environments?
Activity One - Review
We have explored how the shifting of the Earth's plates have helped to shape our planet in Year 8 but we have mainly investigated this in terms of the land beneath our feet. We haven't focused on what happens under the surface of the water in our oceans. Before we can look at the impact of the movement of the tectonic plates we need to review how they move in the first place. Answer the questions on the handout (below) using the 'Time for Geography' clip on the structure of the Earth. You will need to click on the link below the image to get to the video.
Activity Two - Cause - Lucidchart
Tsunami is actually a Japnese word for harbour wave. They are actually secondary events caused by the displacement of the water. There are four key causes to a tsunami - landslides, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and meteroites. We are going to focus on how earthquakes create tsunamis, but how do they do this?
- Create a flow chart to show how an earthquake can cause a tsunami. To create your flow chart you could use Lucidchart. If not, then just grab a piece of A4 paper, a ruler and a pencil.
- Your flow chart should have at least five steps to it.
- Include a diagram and a description for each step.
Activity Three - Create a Podcast - Soundtrap
You have learnt how to do a number of skills throughout this unit and for this final section you are going to create a podcast outlining the causes and effects of a tsunami using Soundtrap. Just in case you don't know a podcast is a spoken word digital file that a user can download or stream on a device. As you can only listen to the information what you say needs to be both informative and engaging to the listener. You can choose any tsunami event but if you are struggling I have added a number of resources below to help you.
Formal Requirement for the Investigation - Criteria B
- Collate all of your research on a Google Doc and share it with your teacher.
- The Google Doc also needs to include a plan of your script.
Formal Requirements for the Podcast - Criteria A and C
- Describe where and when the tsunami took place.
- Explain the causes of a tsunami event of your choice.
- Discuss the impact of the tsunami. The impact can focus on the social, economic, environmental and political problems caused by the event.
- Explore what help or support the area received - local and global.
- No more than three minutes in length.
- Needs to have at least two different voices on it - one being an 'expert' in the field.
- Export your podcast as an mp3 - make sure you put your name on the file.
- Upload your mp3 to the dropbox on ManageBac.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed using Criterion A - Knowing and Understanding and Criterion B - Investigating and C - Communicating.