003 - Lost
To understand how the over utilisation of resources can lead to the destruction of a population.
Malthus in Action
It´s a mystery???
What happened to the people who carved big heads out of stone?
Activity One - Investigate
The task is to investigate why the people of Rapa Nui disappeared and to present your findings to the group. You will be working in teams of 3 or 4.
- As a team devise a concept question for the project. The command word which you use is important as it could narrow your focus. Try and use the specific MYP Humanities command words which are on display in the classroom.
- Remember you will need to back up your theories with specific data and archaeological evidence.
Activity Two - Create
You will need to consider the following points:
- Map - Where is the island located? Remember to label the key features such as mountains, rivers, ports, natural resources etc.
- Inhabitants - Who lived there and when? Why did they go there? What did they do? Why are they famous?
- Disappearance - What happened to the island for the people to disappear? Think about the types of resources they used.
- Today - How is the island described today? Has it recovered?
- Where in the world do you think a similar scenario may happen? Explain your answer.
- Do you think it would be allowed to happen again? Explain your answer.
- What factors may prevent Malthus's theory from happening again.
Information Sheet - click here
You will be assessed using Criterion B: Investigating, C: Thinking Critically and D: Communicating.
The document below will be used to peer assess the groups work.