003 - Friend or Foe?
How does migration impact the country of destination?
How does migration impact the country of origin?
'Migration is always a negative process.' Discuss
- Host Country
- Cultural Homogenisation
Define the words above using the useful links below. Remember you will be expected to use these words during the course of this unit.
Activity One - Describe
Below is an infographic showing the changing face of migration from the countries the migrants come from and where they are going to. An infographic is a visual way of depicting series pieces of information. It can be in the form of graphs or maps and even symbols. There is typically little writing on them.
- Using the infographic below describe global migration from between the years 2010 and 2015.
- How could the infographic be made more useful?
Activity Two - Who, Where and Why
While it is good to talk in general terms and study the big ideas it is essential to apply those to specific places. We are going to be focusing on the impact that Mexican migration has had on both Mexico and the USA. Answer the questions below by watching the youtube clip below and using the resources in the 'Useful Resources' box.
- Take a piece of A4 paper and divide it in to four.
- Take each heading below separately and write it in one of the sections on your paper.
- Interesting facts
- Watch the Youtube clip and click on the links in the 'Useful Resources' section and begin to fill in the sections on your paper.
Activity Three - Investigate
It is interesting to find out where people are moving to and why but ultimately we need to investigate the impacts. When discussing the impacts we need to consider the positive and negative implications and in Geography we need to focus on SEEP. Use the useful resources in the box below to help you complete this task.
- Collect a piece of A4 paper.
- Fold the paper into 4 equal sections.
- In each sections write one of the four key geographical factors - Social, Economic, Environmental and Political.
- On one side of the paper bullet point the positives of migration for the USA in green and on the other write the negatives in red.
- Complete the same process for Mexico.
Activity Four - Management
As you have now researched migration is a controversial issue for both the country of origin and the country of destination. Is there a way to slow down migration. Watch the youtube clip below and form your own opinions.
Activity Five - Analysis
Write a 500-700 word opinion piece on whether you think Mexican migration into the USA is a positive or negative process. While this is an opinion piece you need to back up your ideas by using clear evidence and figures. This mini essay can be hand written or typed. Any evidence that you use will need to be clearly cited using the normal conventions.
'Migration is always a negative process.'
- Introduction - What is migration? Why are Mexicans moving to the USA? Outline structure of your mini essay.
- Main Body - Three paragraphs to outline your three key arguments on whether you think migration is negative or not. Evidence is crucial - quotes or data are equally valid forms of evidence.
- Conclusion - Bring together your arguments. There should be no new information in your conclusion.